I'm working in the Pavel Pevzner's Algorithmic Biology Lab in St. Petersburg, Russia.
My primary project is Rosalind — a platform for learning bioinformatics through problem solving, see mentions on Slashdot, Y Combinator and Reddit, as well as a new educational platform Stepic.
Also we're developing cool algorithms & software for large genomic data. Sibelia, a comparative genomics tool which is able to handle hundreds of bacterial genomes, as well as SPAdes, genome assembler for single-cell next-generation sequencing data with highly non-uniform coverage. All software were released to open-source.
- Ilya Minkin, Anand Patel, Mikhail Kolmogorov, Nikolay Vyahhi, Son Pham, Sibelia: A scalable and comprehensive synteny block generation tool for closely related microbial genomes, Algorithms in Bioinformatics, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 8126, 2013, pp 215-229.
- Jeffrey S McLean, Mary-Jane Lombardo, Jonathan H Badger, Anna Edlund, Mark Novotny, Joyclyn Yee-Greenbaum, Nikolay Vyahhi, Adam P Hall, Youngik Yang, Christopher L Dupont, Michael G Ziegler, Hamidreza Chitsaz, Andrew E Allen, Shibu Yooseph, Glenn Tesler, Pavel A Pevzner, Robert M Friedman, Kenneth H Nealson, J Craig Venter, Roger S Lasken, Candidate phylum TM6 genome recovered from a hospital sink biofilm provides genomic insights into this uncultivated phylum, PNAS June 25, 2013 vol. 110 no. 26 E2390-E2399.
- Alexey Gurevich, Vladislav Saveliev, Nikolay Vyahhi and Glenn Tesler, QUAST: Quality Assessment Tool for Genome Assemblies, Bioinformatics (2013) 29 (8): 1072-1075.
- Nikolay Vyahhi, Son K. Pham, Pavel Pevzner. From de Bruijn Graphs to Rectangle Graphs for Genome Assembly. Algorithms in Bioinformatics, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 7534, 2012, pp 249-261.
- Anton Bankevich, Sergey Nurk, Dmitry Antipov, Alexey A. Gurevich, Mikhail Dvorkin, Alexander S. Kulikov, Valery M. Lesin, Sergey I. Nikolenko, Son Pham, Andrey D. Prjibelski, Alexey V. Pyshkin, Alexander V. Sirotkin, Nikolay Vyahhi, Glenn Tesler, Max A. Alekseyev, and Pavel A. Pevzner. SPAdes: A New Genome Assembly Algorithm and Its Applications to Single-Cell Sequencing. Journal of Computational Biology 19(5) (2012), 455-477.
I've got my masters' degree with honors from the Department of Software Engineering of SPb State University.
I've also had 3 years of undergraduate studies in Law @ SPbSU Law Faculty (international law major) and 1 year of graduate studies in Mathematical Economics @ SPb HSE.
- St. Petersburg (Russia), age 28.
Updated: November 12, 2012.